Sanding Machines Safety Rules for Woodworking and Your Woodshop
- Wear safety glasses and a dust mask during all sanding operations.
- Make sure the sanding disk, belt, or sleeve is attached securely, aligned properly, and is not torn or worn out or glazed over.
- Use a clamp or other fixture to hold small pieces of stock.
- Press the stock lightly against the abrasive. Remove the stock frequently so the abrasive will not get glazed over or cause the stock to burn.
- Sand parallel with the grain whenever possible.
- Always sand against the rotation of the belt sander.
- When using a disk sander, sand the stock on the side of the disk that rotates downward. The upward rotation of the disk will lift the stock from the table and possibly cause you to lose control of it.
- Always turn off sanding machines when the sanding process is completed.
Navigate: Lee's Wood Projects > Woodshop & Woodworking Safety Rules > Sanding Machines Safety Rules