Mortise Machine Safety Rules for Woodworking and Your Woodshop
- Wear safety glasses.
- Make all adjustments with the power off.
- Adjust the auger bit so that it extends 1/16" to 1/8" beyond the end of the chisel.
- If you are attempting to chisel completely through the stock, place a wood pad beneath the stock so the chisel will not damage the table.
- Always clamp the stock securely to the table. Never attempt to hold the stock down with your hand.
- Manually turn the bit spindle around 360 degrees prior to turning on the power.
- Be sure to tighten the bit and chisel firmly. Always remove the chuck key before turning on the power.
- Keep your hands at least 3" away from the chisel while the power is on.
- Keep the work area clean and free of wood chips.
- Never force the mortising chisel and bit into the stock.
- If performing deep cuts, back out periodically to clean out the hole, and allow the chisel and bit to cool off.
Navigate: Lee's Wood Projects > Woodshop & Woodworking Safety Rules > Mortise Machine Safety Rules