How to Make a Coaster Holder
Free Woodworking Plans from Lee's Wood Projects
Posted by Lee Swindel
Every home needs coasters to protect the fine furniture from moisture stains. A coaster holder is a convenient way to display and store coasters when they are not in use. This wood design is easy and inexpensive to make. Also it can serve as a decoration, and will compliment any furniture where ever it is displayed. Follow the step by step instructions below on how to make a coaster holder.
Technical Information for Making a Coaster Holder
A. Materials List:
|1||A||Base||5/8" x 5 5/8" x 5 5/8"||Pine|
|4||B||Dowels||1/4" Dia. x 3 3/8"||Pine|
|4||C||Adhesive Surface Savers||1/4" Diameter||Felt||WOOD SPECIES|
B. Cutting Procedures:
- Use a planer to plane base (A) to 5/8" thickness.
- Use a table saw to rip base (A) to 5 1/16" width.
- Use a radial arm saw to cut base (A) to 5 1/16" length.
- Draw a 9/16" radius at each corner.
- Cut each corner radius with a jig saw or a band saw.
- Use a belt sander to sand the sides of base (A).
- Use a spindle sander to sand the corner radii of base (A).
- Use a drill press and a 1/4" Foerstner Bit to drill four holes through the corners of base (A) with centers 3/8" in from each side.
- Use a band saw to cut four 1/4" dowels to 3 3/8" in length.
C. Sanding procedures:
- Hand sand base (A) with 80 grit sandpaper.
- Hand sand base (A) with 120 grit sandpaper.
- Hand sand base (A) and dowels (B) with 220 grit sandpaper.
- Slightly round all edges of base (A) and top ends of dowel (B) with 220 grit sandpaper.
D. Assembly Procedures:
- Place a small amount of wood glue in each hole.
- Use a wooden mallet to tap each dowel (B) through the base (A) to extend 1/8" beyond the bottom.
- Immediately clean excess glue off the base and the exposed portion of the dowels with a wet paper towel.
- Allow glue to dry 24 hours.
E. Finish Procedures:
- Fill any cracks or holes with wood dough.
- Allow wood dough to dry for 2 hours and then sand flush with 220 grit sandpaper.
- If stain is desired, apply with a brush and allow to penetrate for 5-10 minutes, and then remove with a clean rag.
- Allow stain to dry for 6 hours.
- Apply a clear coat of Varathane, Polyurethane, etc. using a bristle brush. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper.
- Clean all dust with a tack rag.
- Apply a second coat of clear finish and allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Attach adhesive surface savers (C) to the bottom of each dowel. Note: This coaster holder is designed to hold eight 4 1/4" square coasters.
Congratulations, your coaster holder is finished and ready to store your coasters!