How to Make a Wood Cheese Board
Free Woodworking Plans from Lee's Wood Projects
Posted by Lee Swindel
This mini cheese-bread board is perfect for slicing cheese or bread. It can be used for couples to share when when entertaining dinner guests. The mineral oil finish is non-toxic and can be safely used with food items. It comes with a leather strap that can be used to hang the board for storage.
Technical Information for Making a Wood Cheese Board
A. Materials List:
|1||A||Cutting Board||3/8" x 4 1/2" x 9 1/2"||Olive Wood|
- Print out the cheese-bread cutting board (A) and trace it onto Mylar.
- Cut out the pattern with a pair of scissors.
C. Cutting Procedures:
- This project will require a 1/2" x 5" x 10" board.
- Plane the board 3/8" thick.
- Joint one edge straight and smooth.
- Use a table saw to rip the board 4 9/16" wide.
- Joint the ripped edge until the board is 4 1/2" wide.
- Use a radial arm saw to cut the paddle end square with the sides.
- Trace the pattern onto the board.
- Use a scroll saw to cut out the shape.
- Use a spindle sander to smooth out the four outside corners, the two inside corners and the end of the handle.
- Place the cutting board on a vacuum frame and use a router with a 3/8" round- over bit to shape the top/outer edges of the cutting board.
- Find the center of the handle radius and use a drill press with a 1/4" diameter Forstner Bit to drill the hole.
D. Wood Cheese Board Sanding Procedures
- Rough sand the cheese cutting board with an orbital sander and 80 grit sandpaper.
- Intermediate sand with an orbital sander and 120 grit sandpaper.
- Finish sand with an orbital sander and 220 grit sandpaper.
- Hand sand all edges, and rounded areas, with 220 grit sandpaper.
E. Finish Procedures:
- Use a tack rag to remove all sanding dust.
- Use a rag to apply mineral oil to all surfaces of the cutting board.
- Other types of finishes may be caustic and vegetable oil may become rancid.
- Allow to dry for 48 hours before using.
- Slip the rawhide strap (B) through the hole in the handle and tie the ends in a knot. The rawhide strap can be used to hang the cutting board, if desired.
*Congratulations, your mini bread-cheese board is complete and ready to use.